Darcy Mawson, Jillian Wilson & Marie Cooke

Darcy Mawson, Jillian Wilson & Marie Cooke
Darcy Mawson, Jillian Wilson & Marie Cooke - taken at Boulder Bay, Christchurch NZ

A sarcophagus at the end of our Lycian Way journey - a meaningful place to rest for a while?

A sarcophagus at the end of our Lycian Way journey - a meaningful place to rest for a while?
A sarcophagus at the end of our Lycian Way journey - a meaningful place to rest for a while?

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Marie's Metro Mayhem

17 October, Paris

Marie here:  The Metro - well! what a nightmare for me. Just a mad scramble of people hurrying and scrambling on and off trains, signs pointing everywhere, noisy, and sometimes dark. So glad I wasn't by myself. During the mad scramble the doors of one carriage started closing as I was keeping up with Jillian, but somehow I managed to push and squeeze through the gap - sigh of relief. Changing trains to another route was also a nightmare, trying to make sense of the signs, making sure we got on the right train. Could end up in Timbuktu, who would know! During the 1st time down there I inadvertently dropped my ticket in that mad scramble, and so Jillian and I became separated on either side of the ticket barriers! Panic! A kind Parisienne lent me her ticket so that I could get through. To make matters even worse, No. 14 train has no driver! I secretly called it 'the runaway train'. However, I can see how necessary the trains are and I guess one gets accustomed to them, in time. Towards the end of our stay in Paris we heard talk of track maintenance and strikes. Another problem to overcome. I felt hopeless to start with but towards the end started writing it all down - our destination, the train's final destination, colour and number, and it all started coming together. It really is mayhem down there though.

We're biking in Provence now, but that's another story. A bientot!

No comments:

Post a Comment